Thursday, August 4, 2011

Pimento Cheese Panini & Fried Green Tomatoes

I have to thank Kate at Southern Belle Simple for reminding me at how good homemade pimento cheese is. (none of that premade-comes-in-a-tub nonsense!) And Vegetarian Times for the suggestion  to add zucchini. Yum!

I bought a small loaf of ciabatta bread and sliced it up. I dug out the panini press I received as a Christmas gift (that I shamefully hadn't even taken out of the box until a month ago).  Putting a heavy skillet on top of your sandwich will get ya by if you don't have a panini press.





The recipe for the fried green tomatoes came from a vegan cookbook that focuses on local seasonal eating, Ripe From Around Here by Jae Steele. Even though she's Canadian I thought I'd give her recipe for the classically Southern food a try. They were yummy. Bonus points for this cookbook because of how it labels the recipes. People with fibro (like me) or other food allergies may appreciate the nightshade free icon. Or totally ignore it. Whichever.

What's in season in your corner of the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment