Thursday, January 7, 2010

apple -butternut squash soup review


I have a great love for the butternut squash. So, in the winter I try to put it in as many dishess possible. I was pretty excited to try this recipe that I found in last year's Martha Stewart Holiday issue. The front cover informs me that it is special and also collectible. Ooo!

The good thing about soup is that even though this one has a fairly long prep time -about an hour- you can always make it ahead of time.

if you want to try it you'll need:
1 tablespoon butter - 1 med. diced onion - - 2 teaspoons coarse salt -
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, & chopped
4 red apples peeled, cored, & chopped - optional garnish: finely dice a 5th apple & toss with lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin - - 1/2 tsp. ground coriander -
1/2 tsp. ground ginger - - 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper -
- 1/4 ground black pepper -
2 c. veg stock - - 2 1/2 c. water -
jalapeno chile & sour cream for garnish

melt the buttern in a large sauce pan and cook your onion over medium heat about four minutes. Add the squash and cook about 10 minutes.

Add the apples, salt and all the rest of your spices to the pan. Add the stock and water ( I used "not chicken" broth cubes ). Bring to a boil and the reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.

Puree the mixture and return to the pan. Heat over low. The recipe says you can thin with water but, I left it nice and thick. Add your garnish if you like.

I liked this soup, it's perfect for warm nights or to take to work for a filling lunch. If I make it again I will add less cayenne pepper. For me, it overpowered the flavor of the apples. In fact, I may omit it altogether.

Mr. K weighs in : good, a little too spicy, would like it to be "a hair" thicker but, otherwise tasty

No comments:

Post a Comment