Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Blackberry-Swirl Pound Cake


What to do with all those berries you picked over the summer...

I suggest this pound cake from Everyday Food (I know, I know, I'm one of martha's cooking zombies but, I don't think I've made a recipe out of this magazine yet that I didn't love). I suppose you could use any berry, I just happened to pick a lot of blackberries this year. Even though the blueberries were delicious, too! Yum.

Besides being tasty, I think this cake is pretty to look at. And I'm shallow about food so, that's important.

You will need:
  • 1 stick of butter (at room temp)
  • 6 oz. of blackberries or 1 1/3 c.
  • 1 1/4 c. + 2 tablespoons of sugar
  • 1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
  • 1/2 t. coarse salt
  • 1/4 t. baking powder
  • 2 eggs lightly beaten
  • 1/2 t. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 c. sour cream (at room temp)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease your pan/line with parchment. I used some cute loaf papers.

Puree the blackberries with 2 T sugar.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder.

In a large bowl, beat together the butter and 1 1/4 c. sugar for about 5 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat to combine. Add the flour mix in alternating portions with the sour cream, set mixer on a low setting.

Transfer half the batter to your pan and dot with 1/2 c of the blackberry puree. Repeat with the remaining batter.

I used some chopsticks to swirl the blackberry puree around.

Bake until golden brown, about 1 1/4 hours. Let it cool for 30 minutes or so.

p.s. this cake is not for the dieters of the world. luckily i am not one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment