Saturday, December 25, 2010

Ginger Mashed Sweet Potatoes


Mmmm, this tasty vegan side dish from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's newest cookbook, Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-fat Vegan Recipes. This is the first recipe I've made from the cookbook and I'm really pleased. I love that each recipe is accomapnied by the nutritional information!

As one of my resolutions for the new year I've
decided to pick one of my cookbooks and make as many of the recipes as possible in 1 month. I picked this one for Dec/Jan.
This is something I see myself making a lot. It's tasty and doesn't require me to run to the store whenever I want to make it. This is a great recipe to make ahead of time because it reheats well and it takes a little more time than your average side dish.


Try it out:
1 lb. apples -peeled and cut into chunks
2 lbs. sweet potatoes -peeled and cut into chunks
1/4 C. water
1/4 t. salt
1 T. agave syrup (this is a must have staple for your pantry for healthier/vegan/veg cooking)
1/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. grated ginger

preheat a large pot over low heat. spray with nonstick cooking spray and add your apples, sweet potatoes, and water.
Cover the pot and let the contents cook for about 20 minutes.
Turn up the heat, cover and cook for another 20 minutes. Add more water if needed. Stir often and watch it so it doesn't burn.
Mash with a potato masher, add the rest of the ingredients and mash some more.
Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment