Saturday, January 1, 2011

Mini-Pot Pies are the new Cupcakes!


Ok, maybe not, but I think they're darn cute. This little creation will count as recipe #3 from Appetite for Reduction even though I modified it quite a bit. The recipe itself is just for the pot pie filling as its meant to be eaten more like a stew rather than a traditional pot pie with crust.

Chicken pot pie was one of my favorite comfort foods as a kid. When I went veg it sadly disappeared from the menu. Sure I splurged on an Amy's frozen one every once and while but, I made no attempt to make one myself. When I saw the recipe it reminded me of pure childhood foodie goodness. I knew I had to make it. This is a great winter meal -warm and its very filling. I made a few adjustments to the recipe to suit my tastes and pantry so, that's what I'm going to share with you. Get the recipe after the jump.


You'll Need:
1 t Olive Oil
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic
1 1/2 t dried sage
1/2 t salt
black pepper
1/2 C. Red Mill Vegi Soup Mix (lentils, green and yellow split peas, barley, etc.)
1.5 cubes of Not-Chicken Broth (+ 3 C. Water) or Vegetable Broth
1 lb. new potatoes, chopped with skins on
1/2 lb. carrots -cut into small chunks
2 t. fresh thyme
1 C. Water
1/4 C. all-purpose flour
3/4 C. frozen peas
2 stalks of celery, cut into small pieces
1/2 C. Quorn Chik'n Tenders *disclaimer-Quorn is not vegan* or 1 can of Garbanzo Beans

Get your biggest pot with a lid out and preheat it over med-high heat. Saute' the onions in the oil for four minutes. Add the garlic, sage, salt, and black pepper and saute' three more minutes. Add the Vegi Soup mix and Not-Chicken Broth. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Let boil for five minutes.

Add the potatoes and carrots. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, or until the veggie mix is tender. Stir occasionally so the mixture doesn't stick and burn.

While the mix is simmering, combine the flour with the cup of water and allow to dissolve. This will be the thickener for your stew.

Once the mix is ready, add the flour, thyme, peas, chickpeas/quorn to the pot. Cook uncovered for ten minutes. Spread over biscuits or make adorable mini-pot pies!

I made the tiny pot pies with premade pie crust (shame, shame I know ;) ) and the Babycakes maker I received for Christmas (more on that later). Making the little pies was a cinch. The babycakes maker comes with crust making accessories so they fit perfectly into the wells. It also didn't make much of a mess which is great because I am a Notorious Kitchen Destroyer.

I would definitely make this again. It's easily adaptable and the Hubs approved. We'll be eating on this all week.

No comments:

Post a Comment