Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tickled Pink Muffins

Hello, all! I hope you had a wonderful weekend.  I went a little crazy at the Farmer's Market over the strawberries. But, I needed strawberries for salads, desserts, and just for popping into your mouth! I saw this recipe on Modcloth's Blog and I thought I'd give it a try.

Tickled Pink Muffins
Makes a dozen regular sized muffins.
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk or non-dairy substitute
1/4 cup applesauce for a vegan option, or 1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 cup sugar
2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
1/2 cup of Neufchâtel or cream cheese
Pink sugar sprinkles
  1. Preheat your oven at 400°F. Meanwhile, sift together your flour and baking powder.
  2. In another bowl combine milk, oil, and applesauce/egg. Stir in sugar and mix until dissolved.
  3. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet mixture, stirring gently.
  4. While there is still clumps of flour in the mix, fold in strawberries. Work batter lightly until just combined.
  5. Pour batter into muffin cups about 2/3 full. Add a teaspoon-sized dollop of Neufchâtel or cream cheese  in each cup. Sprinkle sugar on top. (I used turbinado sugar)
  6. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Once the muffins pass a toothpick test, they’re done.
I enjoyed these muffins. They came out super moist though, maybe 2 cups of strawberries was too much? It's also been stormy and humid in my corner of the world.
Mr. K and I actually prefer them without  the cheese. I also had more than 12 muffins, and ended up making 9 mini muffins in my babycakes maker. Those actually came out muffin-ier than the ones I baked in the oven. This recipe is easily veganized and is all pretty good. If I tried it again I might use fewer strawberries to lessen the "mush."

What are you cooking up these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment