Tickled Pink Muffins
Makes a dozen regular sized muffins.
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk or non-dairy substitute
1/4 cup applesauce for a vegan option, or 1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 cup sugar
2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
1/2 cup of Neufchâtel or cream cheese
Pink sugar sprinkles
- Preheat your oven at 400°F. Meanwhile, sift together your flour and baking powder.
- In another bowl combine milk, oil, and applesauce/egg. Stir in sugar and mix until dissolved.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet mixture, stirring gently.
- While there is still clumps of flour in the mix, fold in strawberries. Work batter lightly until just combined.
- Pour batter into muffin cups about 2/3 full. Add a teaspoon-sized dollop of Neufchâtel or cream cheese in each cup. Sprinkle sugar on top. (I used turbinado sugar)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Once the muffins pass a toothpick test, they’re done.
Mr. K and I actually prefer them without the cheese. I also had more than 12 muffins, and ended up making 9 mini muffins in my babycakes maker. Those actually came out muffin-ier than the ones I baked in the oven. This recipe is easily veganized and is all pretty good. If I tried it again I might use fewer strawberries to lessen the "mush."
What are you cooking up these days?