Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Bryant's Butternut Squash & Pear Soup

I've got pears coming out of my ears at the moment so, I've been scouring the internet for new recipes. This soup was something new for me. I've never had pears in soup before but, the recipe is from Bryant Terry so I knew it would be a winner. The lovely orange color comes from the butternut squash and the pears and coconut milk give it a creamy, slightly sweet finish. I think it's gorgeous.

The soup has a lot of prep time but, if you are only serving a few people you will have plenty left over for more meals. 

You will need:
  • 3 Tbs. olive oil
  • 2 medium leeks, white and tender green parts finely chopped (3 cups)
  • 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (2 lb.)
  • 3 Bartlett pears, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces (11/2 lb.)
  • 5 cups low-sodium veggie broth
  • 1 14-oz. can light coconut milk (I used a little less than this)
  • 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
  • Pumpkin seeds for garnish, optional




1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook the leeks for 10 minutes.

2. Add squash and pears, and sauté 5 minutes. Stir in veggie broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, and stir in coconut milk. Purée soup in batches in blender until smooth. Return soup to saucepan, and stir in thyme. Reheat over medium-low heat 2 to 3 minutes, or until warmed through. Season with salt and white pepper, if desired. Serve garnished with pumpkin seeds, if using.


recipe via Vegetarian Times

No comments:

Post a Comment