Saturday, April 24, 2010

the benefits of cleaning out my closet


I come from a long line of pack rats. This can be frustrating ( such as when you are attempting to clear out 25 years worth of stuff out of a 4 bedroom house). But, sometimes I find awesome stuff that can become even more awesome. Example: this dress of mine from around the mid-nineties. The brand was "Chocolate Soup" -anyone remember that? I thought it had a lot of potential to be reconstructed into something I can wear now.

First, I separated the top and bottom portion. The rest was cake! The embroidered bit on top was destined to be a necklace. I decided to turn the bottom portion into a high-waisted skirt. This was my first attempt at shirring, which I now love after realizing how easy it is! I was aided by the tutorials over at Pretty Ditty and Threadbanger.

The results:
a lovely necklace


and a shirred skirt -

1 comment:

  1. You're so creative and talented. Not everyone can do that, Miss. Or maybe some more of us need to try such bold things. Love the necklace.

    ReplyDelete